Messer/Mayer Mill - Richfield, Wisconsin
The Messer Sawmill was built in 1856 by Johann Messer. In 1871, Andrew Messer, Johann's son, attached a grist (grain) mill to the Sawmill. The Mills were purchased by the Mayer family, thus the name, Messer/Mayer. The Sawmill operated until 1930 and the grist Mill until 1954. The Mill with closed with all of its original equipment intact -- just as it is today. The Town of Richfield purchased the Mill property in 1997. The Richfield Historical Society is responsible for restoring and maintaining all of the historic buildings located on this property which is now the Richfield Historical Park. To learn more about the Messer/Mayer Mill, click on the following Messer/Mayer Mill links.